COVID-19 Policies: FAQ's
-We will continue to update the page with notes as we learn more in the weeks ahead.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I ride my Mountain Bike (MTB)?
Yes, your MTB will be fine at the TUFF.
Where will the start/finish be located?
The Start/Finish will be on Canyon BLVD. next to the Village at Mammoth (6201 Minaret Rd, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546).
Can I defer or transfer my entry?
The short answer is NO. We recommend you register when you are confident you can make the travel but the event is only open to 850 riders.
What am I getting for the entry fee?
Food, Drink, Swag, a TUFF adventure with views in every direction, contribution to preserving your public lands, and a route that most could not ride without some support.
Will there be awards
Awards are given only to the TUFF-est (one person at the top in each category on both courses). The ceremony will be saved for the morning after, Sunday, September 20, 2020, where all the TUFF can stop back in and share their stories with other members.
Will there be a party?
Party, this is why we are teaming up with OKTOBERFEST so when you return you can cash in your food and beverage tickets for some German treats.
What tires should I ride?
We recommend a tubeless-tire that is a 38c or larger. Skinnier tires will make it but bigger is better. We will make announcements in the newsletters on our favorite tires and other tech specifics.
Will there be aid stations?
YES! There will be enough neutral aid stations to get through both courses but you will be required to carry at least 3-4hrs of fuel at a time... It's gravel are you TUFF enough!
Are support crews required?
NO! For the LONG COURSE they are not required but we will have space for them to meet you at the southern most part of the course. For the SHORT COURSE support crews are not allowed for safety of the riders and to prep riders to take on the long course in the future.
Do I need a backpack?
It is recommended you carry a pack or some sort of bags on your frame, bars, etc. that allow you to carry a minimum of 2 Liters (67OZ) of fluids, 4hrs of nutrition, and extra clothing (you will be in the Sierra and things can change quick).
Will it be hard?
YES! You are at altitude, riding in TUFF, and have a good amount of climbing throughout the day... If it was not TUFF we would not have used this as a training ground for two DK200 wins and more.
When will the course be released?
The full course will be announced Monday, September 14, 2020. We will be sharing a #gravelreport and sections of the course through the Spring and Summer. We will also post some of our favorite rides around the Mammoth Lakes and Bishop areas.
Will the course be marked?
We will mark some sections of the course or major intersections/turns otherwise it is gravel and it is part of the adventure to navigate. Hence, D.Sheek always lost at events. GPX files of the course will be released with final course and added to course page Monday, September 14, 2020.
Is there a neutral roll-out?
Yes. We will roll-out from the start in a neutral formation for about 6.5 miles (Long Course) and 3.5 miles (Short Course) for safety and allow natural selection on course from there.
Where will I find all the specifics to prep. and plan for the event?
The Riders Guide will have all the specifics of the event with all these questions answered again and more. It will be released in May on the Info. page.
Is there a COVID-19 status for your race?
As of mid-May, we are staying positive that the TUFF will happen and we are excited to offer an adventure that gets people back outside. We are assuming there will be some modifications and changes to the way we execute the event due to the pandemic and subsequent phases back to normalcy. We know everyone that plans to attend will trust and support us to help promote it in the safest possible ways.
When will you make a decision about moving forward or canceling?
We are continuing to plan the event and move forward. We will continue to listen to the state and local agencies that are advising us on the status of mass participation sports events being held outdoors. If we have to make any changes we will keep you informed. If there is a reason we cannot hold the event we will make an announcement between August 8-22, 2020, 4-6 weeks prior to the event date.
I would like to register but I am not confident I will be able to attend due to financial or travel restrictions?
As of mid-May 2020, we recommend you wait to register until you have more confidence. Otherwise, for those planning to attend we welcome you to register and will hold the registration cap to 850 total riders.
I would like to register but I need more time to make a decision and I am concerned the event will sell out?
Please check the “Who’s Registered” tab on BikeReg at https://www.bikereg.com/Confirmed/46517.. This will inform you of registered field size compared to the limits of 250 for the short course and 600 for the long course. As the event approaches and your confidence to register develops, you can monitor field size there to make a more informed decision.
What if you cancel the event due to COVID-19?
If we announce a cancellation, we will provide all necessary details about your registration at that time. If this is an unfortunate reality, we will do our best to set our sights on 2021 and ask our registrants to do the same.